Thursday, December 9, 2010

A loss in the family

I remember when I had just turned 8 years old and my life changed completely, I met the one other being that truly understood me, my loving weiner dog patti. She was beyond a dog she was a best friend, cuddling partner, racing partner, and protector. She greeted me when I came home and would listen to all my stupid childhood stories. I would tell her who I want to be, who I wish I was and all the things that no one else knew. I knew that Patti couldnt respond, but just telling a living being about your problems it just means more than I could ever express. I remember her licking my tears when I thought I was in trouble from school and my Dad would get mad. I remember racing her around the house, and her bark that I yelled at her for (but I will forever miss it). I remember when she was 3 and fought a copperhead snake and she was bitten a few times so we went to the dog hospital. My dad always acted like she was just a dog for those first three years, but in that moment I saw in his eyes that she was more. I remember when she needed surgery for her cancer that was gonna cost 1500, but he knew that money was an obstacle, it was this moment when I really truly knew that she was part of the family, like a living breathing member. I also remember getting older and she no long slept with me and I was too busy for her quite often with friends, and work and school. She understood, she always treated me the same because thats what dogs do. She'd still be there at the door when I got home and would still take a nap with me if I wanted. She is the one thing in my childhood I could count on because kids are mean to each other and so are sisters and parents are demanding, only a dog truly understands what a kid needs. I know we all complain about stupid stuff and sometimes it takes something like this to put it into perspective. She was everything a kid could want and need, she was selfless and loving and my best friend. For that I will always love you patti. Being this sad about something just reminds me that in order to be this sad something had to happen to someone that made me that happy. I love her and will never forget her, I just hope I can get my kids a dog that half as loving and cool as the one I have.


C ya Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment